Source from DMV...
What are the benefits of taking a Defensive Driving/Accident Prevention course?
Completing an approved course will
- refresh your driving knowledge
- help to prevent you from losing your license in the event you accrued 11 or more points on your driving record
- 4 points are 'subtracted' for the purposes of calculating a suspension if you have 11 or more points
- the tickets/points do not physically come off your driving record
- learn about the New York State point system
- reduce the base rate of your auto and motorcycle insurance premiums 10% each year for three years
Completing a course does not
- prevent a mandatory suspension or revocation
- eliminate your responsibility to pay a driver responsibility assessment
- give you a way to reduce future driver violation points